Tuesday, August 16, 2011

If I were a Pancake, I would be a Carrot Cake Pancake


There is just something about pancakes that make me happy.  I mean you can make them in different shapes, hello mickey mouse pancakes.  They are like the cookie of breakfast; you can put a bunch of different things in them (chocolate chips, blueberries, nuts, oats, apples) and they taste great.  Bonus! You cover them in sugary sweet maple syrup!  Well I need to also admit something, I love making breakfast food, especially pancakes, french toast, waffles, bacon, quiche...yum.  I love making breakfast for other people; it makes me feel like I am making their day a bit little better if they can at least have a delicious breakfast. 

So pancakes, I could seriously be a carrot cake pancake if I could be a pancake.  What kind of pancake would you be is the question?

I love carrot cake, and the fact that these pancakes have 2 cups of shredded carrots and 1/4 cup of pecans in them, plus you could probably substitute apple sauce for the oil, make them slightly healthy pancakes.  And well I was home, and I felt like making my mom pancakes, and since I am technically supposed to be "training" for the running part of a triathlon, slightly healthy pancakes were in order.  These turn out light and fluffy, and make you feel all warm inside because of the spices used.  I can't wait to make them again this coming fall!


Batter.  I like to use a 1/4 or 1/3 cup measuring cup for scooping out pancake batter.


Waiting patiently to be flipped.  Square pans like this are my favorite for making pancakes and french toast if you don't have room to store a griddle.

Carrot Cake Pancakes: (recipe adapted from Cooking Light)
*makes approximately 14 small pancakes
1 1/4 all purpose flour 
1/4 cup chopped pecans
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
Dash of all-spice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup skim milk
1 tablespoon canola oil  (could substitute with 1 tablespoon of apple sauce)
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large eggs, lightly beaten (or 1/2 cup egg beaters)
2 cups finely grated carrot
Cooking spray

1.  In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, pecans, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, all-spice and salt until well combined.

2.  In a small mixing bowl, whisk together sugar, milk, oil, vanilla extract and eggs.

3.  Pour wet ingredients in to dry ingredients just until combined.  Fold in grated carrots.

4.  Heat pan over medium heat until hot.  Spray with nonstick cooking spray.  Pour batter onto pan in the size pancake desired.  Cook for 2 minutes or until tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked. Carefully turn pancakes over; cook 1 minute or until bottoms are lightly browned.  Enjoy!   If you can't eat all of them they will freeze well.

No comments:

Post a Comment